Simple and smart mobile license management
Tanla is a leading provider of license management and on-device payment solutions for mobile applications. The company’s core product, Tanla License Manager – designed and developed in Finland – provides wireless software vendors and content distributors with an advanced, 24/7 service solution for software licence management and purchase.
The Tanla License Manager (LM) system integrates license management and ondevice payment seamlessly to make the purchasing of mobile content convenient and uncomplicated for end-users. If users like what they see, they can buy a license with just a couple of clicks on their phone keypad. Mobile software developers, for their part, can create multiple, flexible end-user licensing options to ensure reliable revenue flows worldwide.
|Solutions based on Tanla License Manager’s client-server architecture support license management and payment collection via a wide range of distribution channels. For the user, payment can be completed in just two clicks.
Three international patent applications have been filed to protect the system’s general product architecture, license model, and credit card payment security.
Excellent track record
The system was released in 2003 and the LM client has been delivered to over 80 million handset users worldwide since then and comes preloaded on most phone models running the Symbian OS today.
Mobile content protected by the Tanla LM system ranges from navigation solutions, city guides, and office tools to security applications, games, entertainment, traffic information, weather reports, and mobile dictionaries. More than 1,000 mobile applications are currently protected and charged using Tanla License Manager.
The LM client resides on users’ handsets and is responsible for managing the licenses of their applications, while the system’s server acts as a database for products, subscribers, and transactions, and for financial and statistical reporting. The LM Server handles close to 100,000 unique end-user transactions a day, and has secure connections to other service providers, such as mobile operators, credit card issuers, and customer care centres.
Key features of Tanla License Manager
- Compatible with Symbian S60, Windows Mobile for Smartphone and Pocket PC, MIDP Java 2.0, Series 40, and Linux
- DRM functionality provides everything from free trial licenses to bundle licenses and corporate licenses
- Automatic license transfer when a phone is upgraded
- On-device payment options include premium-rate operator billing via over 90 networks worldwide, direct operator billing, credit card payment, WAP payment, and subscriptions
- Localised in over 80 languages, with license fees defined and displayed in local currencies
- Distribution channel support for ‘Try and Buy’, over air, sideloading, memory card bundles, and license code sales
- Extensive development toolkit available, with client APIs, customer server APIs, an extranet for customer care, online sales reporting, and license type and pricing configuration.
(Published in HighTech Finland 2009)